Page 3 of 11
Assoc. Prof. Dr. Gan Chee Yuen
Address: Analytical Biochemistry Research Centre (ABrC), Universiti Sains Malaysia, 11800 USM, Penang, Malaysia
Telephone: 04-653 4260
Personal website: http://www.gan-chee-yuen.com/
Google Scholar: https://scholar.google.com/citations?user=lTmiWlsAAAAJ&hl=en
- Currently, working as Deputy Director in ABrC.
- Previously given administrative and technical responsibilities: Deputy Technical Manager (in food safety testing, drug of abuse testing, elemental testing) as well as Quality Manager (ISO/IEC17025).
- Over 6 years of experience in Academic and Research Sector and 1 year as Post-doctorate fellow.
- A proactive academician and researcher with expertise in the research field of analytical chemistry and food chemistry.
- Managed to publish 43 international journals and actively involved as reviewers (reviewed over 200 articles) for the past 6 years.
- Successfully secure several research grants including ERGS, RU and private grants.
- Professionally recognized as science consultants.
- Analytical Chemistry – Mass Spectrometry
- Biomolecular Chemistry – Biologically active molecules, characterization of biological macromolecules, protein and peptides
- Biotechnology/Food Chemistry – Enzyme Technology
- Discovery of anti-diabetic, anti-obesity and anti-hypertensive peptides from food sources using an integrated Bioinformatics-Phage display approach.
- Isolation and identification of bioactive polysaccharide from plant materials
- Immobilization of enzyme for the production of bioactive peptides from a complex source of proteins
- Reviewer of Articles in Academic Journals and Books
- Associate Editor for International Journal Network
- Editorial Board Member for American Journal of Food Science and Nutrition, and American Journal of Science and Technology
- Award winner in different exhibitions and seminars (such as Malaysia Technology Expo, BioMalaysia and BioInnovation)
- Members of American Society for Mass Spectrometry (ASMS) , American Chemical Society (ACS), American Peptide Society (APS) and European Peptide Society (EPS)
- Science consultant for private companies
- ISO/IEC 17025 technical assessor under the Department of Standard Malaysia
- Gan, C.Y., Cheng, L.H., & Easa, A.M. (2008). Physicochemical properties and microstructures of soy protein isolate gels produced using combined cross-linking treatments of microbial transglutaminase and Maillard cross-linking. Food Research International, 41(6): 600-605.
- Gan, C.Y., Cheng, L.H., & Easa, A.M. (2008). Evaluation of Microbial Transglutaminase and Ribose Cross-linked Soy Protein Isolate-based Microcapsules Containing Fish Oil. Innovative Food Science and Emerging Technologies, 9(4): 563-569.
- Gan, C.Y., Cheng, L.H., & Easa, A.M. (2009). In-vitro digestibility and amino acid composition of soy protein isolate cross-linked with microbial transglutaminase followed by heating with ribose. International Journal of Food Sciences and Nutrition 60, 99-108.
- Gan, C.Y., AlKharkhi, A.F.M. & Easa, A.M. (2009). Using response surface methodology to optimize process parameters and cross-linking agents for production of combined-crosslinked bovine serum albumin gels. Journal of Bioscience and Bioengineering, 107: 366-372.
- Gan, C.Y., Cheng, L.H., & Easa, A.M. (2009). Assessment of Maillard
reaction and cross-linking in transglutaminase-cross-linked powdered soy protein isolate gel. Journal of Food Science, 74(2): C141-C146.
- Gan, C.Y., Ong, W.H., Wong, L.M., & Easa, A.M. (2009). Effects of ribose, microbial transglutaminase andsoy protein isolate on physical properties and in-vitro starch hydrolysis of yellow noodles. LWT-Food Science and Technology, 42(1): 174-179.
- Gan, C.Y., Cheng, L.H., Phuah, E.T., Chin, P.N., AlKharkhi, A.F.M. & Easa, A.M. (2009). Combined cross-linking treatments of bovine serum albumin gel beadlets for controlled- delivery of caffeine. Food Hydrocolloids, 23: 1398-1405.
- Gan, C.Y., Latiff, A.A., Cheng, L.H., & Easa, A.M. (2009). Gelling of microbial transglutaminase cross-linked soy protein in the presence of ribose and sucrose. Food Research International, 42:1373-1380.
- Gan, C.Y., Abdul Manaf, N., & Latiff, A.A. (2010). Optimization of alcohol insoluble polysaccharides (AIPS) extraction from the Parkia speciosa pod using response surface methodology (RSM). Carbohydrate Polymers, 79, 825-831.
- Gan, C.Y., Abdul Manaf, N., & Latiff, A.A. (2010). Physico-chemical properties of alcohol precipitate pectin-like polysaccharides from Parkia speciosa pod. Food Hydrocolloids, 24: 471-478.
- Gan, C.Y., & Latiff, A.A. (2011). Optimization of the solvent extraction of bioactive compounds from Parkia speciosa pod using response surface methodology. Food Chemistry, 124: 1277-1283.
- Gan, C.Y., & Latiff, A.A. (2011). Extraction of antioxidant pectic-polysaccharide from mangosteen (Garcinia mangostana) rind: Optimization using response surface methodology. Carbohydrate Polymers, 83: 600-607
- Gan, C.Y., & Latiff, A.A. (2011). Antioxidant Parkia speciosa pod powder as potential functional flour in food application: Physico-chemical properties characterization. Food Hydrocolloids, 25: 1174-1180.
- Abedin, M.Z, Karim, A.A., Ahmed, F., Latiff, A.A, Gan, C.Y., Ghazali, F.C., & Sarker M.Z.I (2013). Isolation and characterization of pepsin-solubilized collagen from the integument of sea cucumber (Stichopus vastus). Journal of Science and Food Agriculture, 93(5); 1083-1088.
- Lew, L.C., Liong, M.T., & Gan, C.Y. (2012). Growth optimization of Lactobacillus rhamnosus FTDC 8313 and the production of putative dermal bioactives in the presence of manganese and magnesium ions. Journal of Applied Microbiology, 114(2): 526-535
- Lew, L.C., Gan, C.Y., & Liong, M.T. (2012). Derma bioactives from lactobacilli and bifidobacteria. Annals of Microbiology, 63(3): 1047-1055
- Siow, H.L. & Gan, C.Y. (2013). Extraction of antioxidative and antihypertensive bioactive peptides fromParkia speciosa seeds. Food Chemistry, 141: 3435-3442.
- Tan, C.C. Abdul Karim, A., Aishah, A.A, & Gan, C.Y. (2013). Extraction and characterization of pepsin-solubilized collagen from the body wall of crown-of-thorns Starfish (Acanthaster planci). International Food Research Journal, 20(6): 3013-3020
- Abedin, M.Z., Karim, A.A., Latiff, A.A., Gan, C.Y., Ghazali, F.C., Zzaman, M., Hossain, M.M., Ahmed, F., Absar, N., & Sarker, M.Z.I. (2013). Physicochemical and biochemical properties of pepsin-solubilized collagen isolated from the integument of sea cucumber (Stichopus vastus). Journal of Food Processing and Preservation,38(4):2027-2036
- Barzideh, Z., Karim, A.A., Latiff, A.A., Gan, A.A., Benjakul, S. (2014). Isolation and Characterization of Collagen from the Ribbon Jellyfish (Chrysaora sp.). International Journal of Food Science and Technology, 49:1490-1499.
- Tan, E.S, Ngoh, Y.Y. & Gan, C.Y.(2014) A comparative study of physicochemical characteristics and functionalities of pinto bean protein isolate (PBPI) against the soybean protein isolate (SPI) after the extraction optimization. Food Chemistry 152: 447-455.
- Tan, P.L., Peh, K.K., Gan, C.Y., Liong, M.T. (2014). Bioactive dairy ingredient for food and non-food applications. Acta Alimentaria, 43(1): 113-123.
- Leong, Y.H., Chiang, P.N., Jaafar, H.J., Gan, C.Y., Abd Majid, M.I. (2014). Contamination of food samples from Malaysia with polychlorinated dibenzo-p-dioxins and dibenzofurans and estimation of human intake. Food Additive and Contaminants: Part A. 31(4), 711-718
- Leong, Y.H., Gan, C.Y., Tan, M.A.F., Abd Majid, M.I. (2014). Present Status and Future Concerns of Expanded Newborn Screening in Malaysia: Sustainability, Challenges and Perspectives. Malays J Med Sci. Mar-Apr 2014; 21(2): 64-68
- Leong, Y.H., Gan, C.Y., Abd Majid, M.I. (2014). Dioxin-Like Polychlorinated Biphenyls, Polychlorinated Dibenzop-Dioxins, and Polychlorinated Dibenzofurans in Seafood Samples from Malaysia: Estimated Human Intake and Associated Risks. Arch Environ Contam Toxicol. 67(1), 21-28
- Leong, Y.H., Chiang, P.N., Jaafar, H.J., Gan, C.Y., Abd Majid, M.I. (2014). Occurrence and Dietary Intake of Polychlorinated Dibenzo-p-dioxins and Dibenzofurans in Malaysia. In: From Sources to Solution. Proceedings of the International Conference on Environmental Forensic 2013, Chapter 10, (Azis et al. eds). Pp. 49-53. Doi:
- Abedin, M.Z., Karim, A.A., Latiff, A.A., Gan, C.Y., Ghazali, F.C., Barzideh, Z., Ferdosha, S., Akandaa, M.J.H., Zzaman, M., Karime, M.R. & Sarker, M.Z.I. (2014).Biochemical and radical-scavenging properties of sea cucumber (Stichopus vastus) collagen hydrolysates. Natural Product Research 28(16),1302-1305.
- Siow, H.L., Gan C.Y. (2014). Functional protein from cumin seed (Cuminum cyminum): Optimization and characterization studies. Food Hydrocolloids 41: 178-
- Barzideh, Z., Latiff, A.A., Gan, A.A., Abedin, M.Z., Karim, A.A. (2014). ACE inhibitory and antioxidative activities of collagen hydrolysates from the ribbon jellyfish (Chrysaora sp.). Food Technology and Biotechnology, 49, 1490-1499.
- Barzideh, Z., Latiff, A.A., Gan, A.A., Abedin, M.Z., Karim, A.A. (2014).Functional properties of collagen hydrolysates from the jellyfish (Chrysaora sp.). Agro Food Industry Hi Tech, 25(4): 27-32
- Chin, C.F., Tan, S.J., C.Y. Gan, & Lim, T.S. (2015). Identification of peptide based inhibitors for α-amylase by phage display. International Journal of Peptide Research and Therapeutics, 21(3): 237-242
- Gan C.Y., Kee S.M., Chiang P.N. (2015). Extraction and Identification of Antidiabetic and Antioxidative Phytochemicals from Pisang awak Leaves. International Journal of Pharmacognosy and Phytochemical Research 2015; 7(3); 461-472
- Ngoh, Y. Y., Leong, Y.-H. and Gan, C. Y. (2015). Optimization study for synthetic dye removal using an agricultural waste of Parkia speciosa pod: A sustainable approach for waste water treatment. International Food Research Journal 22(6): 2351-2357
- Abedin, M. Z., Karim, A. A., Gan, C.Y., Ghazali, F. C., Barzideh, Z., Zzaman, W. and Zaidul, I. S. M. (2015). Identification of angiotensin I converting enzyme inhibitory and radical scavenging bioactive peptides from sea cucumber (Stichopus vastus) collagen hydrolysates through optimization. International Food Research Journal 22(3): 1074-1082
- Liew WPP, Ong JS, Gan CY, Yahaya S, Khoo BY, Liong MT (2015) Gut Microbiome and Stress. In: MT Liong (Ed), Beneficial Microoorganisms in Medical and Health Applications, vol. 28, pp. 223-255, Springer International Publishing, Switzerland
- Loh YS, Lew LC, Khoo BY, Khalil NA, Gan CY, Liong MT (2015) Roles of Probiotics on Lifelong Diversifications of Gut Microbiota. In: MT Liong (Ed), Beneficial Microorganisms in Food and Nutraceuticals, vol 27, pp. 245-263, Springer International Publishing, Switzerland
- Nurul Hidayatul Afifah B. S..S. & Gan C.Y. (2016). Antioxidative and amylase inhibitor peptides from Basil seeds. International Journal of Peptide Research and Therapeutics, 22: 3-10
- Ngoh, Y.Y. & Gan C.Y. (2016). Enzyme-assisted extraction and identification of antioxidative and a-amylase inhibitory peptides from Pinto beans (Phaseolus vulgaris
- Tan, H.F. & Gan C.Y. (2016). Polysaccharide with antioxidant, α-amylase inhibitory and ACE inhibitory activities from Momordica charantia. International Journal of Biological Macromolecules, 85: 487-496.
- Siow, H.L. & Gan C.Y. (2016). Extraction, identification, and structure–activity relationship of anti-oxidative and α-amylase inhibitory peptides from cumin seeds (Cuminum cyminum). Journal of Functional Food, 22, 1-12.
- Kamarudin, F. & Gan, C.Y. (2016). Molecular structure, chemical properties and biological activities of Pinto bean pod polysaccharide. International Journal of Biological Macromolecules, 88: 280-287
- Ngoh, Y.Y., Lim, T.S., & Gan, C.Y. (2016). Screening and Identification of Five Peptides from Pinto Bean with Inhibitory Activities against α-Amylase using Phage Display Technique. Enzyme and Microbial Technology, 89: 76-84
- Siow, H.L. & Gan C.Y. (2016). Optimization study in extracting anti-oxidative and α-amylase inhibitor peptides from cumin seeds (Cuminum cyminum). Journal of Food Biochemistry. Doi: 10.1111/jfbc.12280
- Siow, H.-L., Choi, S.-B.,Gan, C.-Y. (2016) Structure–activity studies of protease activating, lipase inhibiting, bile acid binding and cholesterol-lowering effects of pre-screened cumin seed bioactive peptides. Journal of Functional Foods, 27: 600-611
- Murugan, P., Han, L., Gan, C.-Y., Maurer, F.H.J., Sudesh, K. (2016). A new biological recovery approach for PHA using mealworm, Tenebrio molitor. Journal of Biotecjnology, 239: 98-105
- Park, Y.H., Hamidon, F., Rajangan, C., Soh, K.P., Gan, C.Y., Lim, T.S., Wan Abdullah, W.N., Liong, M.T. (2016). Application of Probiotics for the Production of Safe and High-quality Poultry Meat, Korean Society for Food Science of Animal Resources, 36 (5): 567-576
- Siow, H.L., Lim, T.S. & Gan, C.Y. (2017). Development of a aworkflow for screening and identification of α-amylase inhibitory peptides from food source using an integrated Bioinformatiics-phage display approach: Case study – Cumin seed. Food Chemistry, 214: 67-76
- Siow, H.L., & Gan, C.Y. (2017). Optimization study in extracting anti-oxidative and α-amylase inhibitor peptides from cumin seeds (Cuminum Cyminum). Journal of food Biochemistry, 41(1), doi: 10.1111/jfbc.12280
- Ngoh, Y.Y., Choi, S.B., & Gan, C.Y. (2017). The potential roles of Pinto bean (Phaseolus vulgaris cv. Pinto) bioactive peptides in regulating physiological functions: Protease activating, lipase inhibiting and bile acid binding activities. Journal of Functional Foods, 33, 67-75.
- Siow, H.L., Tye, G.J., & Gan, C.Y. (2017). Pre-clinical evidence for the efficacy and safety of a-amylase inhibitory peptides from cumin (Cuminum cyminum) seed. Journal of Functional Foods, 35, 216-223.
- Ngoh, Y.Y. & Gan, C.Y. (2017). Identification of Pinto bean peptides with inhibitory effects on α-amylase and angiotensin converting enzyme (ACE) activities using an integrated bioinformatics-assisted approach. Food Chemistry, http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.foodchem.2017.04.166
- Hazlami Habib, M.A., Gan, C.Y., Othman, F., Zainudin, N.N., Latiff, A.A., & Ismail, M.N. (2017). Proteomics analysis of latex from Hevea brasiliensis (clone RRIM 600). dx.doi.org/10.1139/bcb-2016-0144
- Murugan, P., Gan, C.Y., Sudesh, K. (2017). Biosynthesis of P(3HB-co-3HHx) with improved molecular weightsfrom a mixture of palm olein and fructose by Cupriavidus necatorRe2058/pCB113. International Journal of Biological Macromolecules 102 (2017) 1112–1119