Page 4 of 11
Dr. Mohd Adi Firdaus Tan Abdullah
Address: Analytical Biochemistry Research Centre (ABrC), Universiti Sains Malaysia, 11800 USM, Penang, Malaysia
Telephone: 04-653 4264
With more than 20 years of experience in clinical biochemistry, with the last 15 years in biochemical genetics. Trained in basic biochemical genetics (Laboratory diagnosis) in Sydney, Australia and holds a PhD from University of Adelaide, Adelaide, Australia for research done on lysosomal storage disorders (Metachromatic leukodystrophy). Research interest includes genotype/phenotype correlation study for disorders in Inborn Errors of Metabolism (IEM), molecular genetics. Have a keen interest in method development and application of tandem mass spectrometry in the detection and screening for inherited disorders and other related health sciences
- Mohd Adi F. Tan, Jamaayah MO. and Mazidah AM. (1995) Sr. Mg2+ in Pregnancy- A comparative study between normal & pre-eclampsia patients in Kelantan, 20th. Annual conference of the Malaysian Society for Biochemistry & Molecular Biology, Hotel Seri Malaysia, Seremban.
- Mohd Adi F. Tan, Mohd Rafi M. and Mazidah AM. (1995) The role of high voltage paper electrophoresis in screening of urinary amino acids.6th ASEAN Conference in Medical Laboratory Sciences, Federal Hotel, Kuala Lumpur.
- Speaker in Seminar: Inborn Errors of Metabolism – A Clinical and Laboratory Approach.(1996)
- Mazidah AM., Mohd Rafi M. and Mohd Adi F. Tan (1996) Inborn errors of metabolism in Kelantan, Malaysia: Clinical presentations of a case of Methyl Malonic Aciduria (MMA). XVI, Conference of International Federations of Clinical Chemistry, United Kingdom.
- Mohd Adi F. Tan. Mohd Rafi M. and Mazidah AM. (1997) Review of cases for IEM screening received at the Chemical Pathology laboratory, University Science of Malaysia from 1995 to 1996. 3rd National conference on Medical Sciences, USM, Kelantan.
- Yahaya O., Jamaayah MO., Mohd Adi F. Tan and Mazidah AM. (1997) Screening for Mucopolysaccharidoses: An assessment of the toluidine blue spot test. 3rd National conference on Medical Sciences, USM, Kelantan.
- Mohd Adi F Tan, Yahaya O. Rowani MR. and Mazidah AM (1997) Methyl Malonic Aciduria (MMA)-Cases of Organic aciduria detected by high voltage electrophosis. 3rd National conference on Medical Sciences, USM, Kelantan.
- Tan MAF., Hopwood JJ. and Meikle PJ. (2004)Determination of Arylsulfatase A in Dried Blood Spots. Society for the Study of Inborn Errors of Metabolism (SSIEM) 41st Annual Symposium, Amsterdam, The Netherland.
- Tan MAF., Hopwood JJ. and Meikle PJ. (2004)Determination of Arylsulfatase A in Dried Blood Spots. J Inherited Metab Dis Vol. 27 Suppl 1. P150.
- Tan MAF., Hopwood JJ. and Meikle PJ. (2006) Phenotype Prediction in Asymptomatic Metachromatic Leukodystrophy. J. Inherited Metab Dis Vol 29 Suppl 1 p 72.
- Tan MAF, Dean CJ, Hopwood JJ, Meikle PJ (2008) Immune-quantification of arylsulphatase A protein and activity for the diagnosis of metachromatic Leukodystrophy from dried blood-spots. Clinical Chemistry, 54(11):1925-7.
- The Korea Human Bio-Repository Centre Seminar, Nov 20, 2009 –Invited Speaker
- Tan MAF, Fuller M, Zabidi-Hussin ZA, Hopwood JJ, Meiklem PJ. (2010) Biochemical profiling to predict disease severity in metachromatic leukodystrophy. Molecular Genetics and Metabolism, 99( 2): 142-148
- Mohd Adi Firdaus Tan, Haira Rizan M.R., Hami Mahayoo K., Hayati M.N., Aishah Latif (2010) Newborn screening for Inherited Metabolic Disorders in the Private Sector: The Malaysian Experience. Paediatrica Indonesiana. Vol 50 Suppl p 36.
- Kamarudin HM, Rudin HRM, Noh HM, Latiff AA, Tan MAF (2011). Expanded Newborn Screening: Challenges in Malaysia. J. Inherited Metab Dis Vol 34 Suppl 3 S 259
- Peranan dan Sumbangan BJIM USM ke Arah Memperkasakan Pembangunan Komuniti di Malaysia, Persidangan Kebangsaan Masyarakat, Ruang dan Alam Sekitar (MATRA 2011), Keynote Speaker
- Erna Ahmad*, Masturah Mohd Narawi, Mohd Adi Firdaus Tan Abdullah, Chee-Yuen Gan (2012) Enzymatic-mediated extraction of pectic-polysaccharide from theobroma cacao l pod, presented in International Conference on Environmental Research and Technology (ICERT 2012), Penang
- Newborn Screening-Satu wadah untuk Permulaan Hidup Yang Baik, UNIVERSITI SAINS MALAYSIA, 25/8/2013- 28/8/2013, keynote speaker
- Newborn Screening for Inherited Metabolic Disorders: Current Situation in Malaysia, All India Institute of Medical Sciences, New Delhi, India, 27/9/2013- 29/9/2013, International, speaker
- Leong Y.H, Gan C.Y, Tan, M.A.F., Majid, M.I.A, Present Status and Future Concerns of Expanded Newborn Screening in Malaysia: Sustainability, Challenges and Perspectives, Malaysia Journal of Medical Science, 2014, 21 (2), 5